Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hair Pulling, Post Office Madness & Sweet Goodbyes

My goodbyes have been going on for weeks. I have so many friends that don't live on the island, so have been saying goodbyes one by one whenever possible. The island goodbyes are kicking into full gear. We're all holding excitement and sadness. Sophie & Xavier, who normally adore each other and rarely fight, are escalating into all-out, hair-pulling warfare at the smallest of infractions. And, the intense emotions coming out sideways isn't just reserved for the kids. I found myself in a cross-town argument with Cedric that started at Cafe Luna and progressed to the post office. Nice.

Last night, Ced had a small going away gathering for the kids. It was a beautiful mix of friends who've been a part of all of our lives. As I looked out across gaggles of kids swimming in a pond, playing around a fire pit & dashing into the woods and our friends who've been a part of school drop-offs & pick-ups, play dates and hanging out, I realized how rich our lives are. And, I also realized it will probably be the highest concentration of blond children I'll see in a while (of 10 kids, 7 had white-blond hair, 2 were red heads and 1 brown). Yes, the Northwest is very white & Vashon is even whiter. We are about to hit culture shock!

Movers came yesterday & got most everything out of the house. When I got home from the party last night, I realized the house echoed from emptiness. I feel very ready to shed this huge house and move to a simpler life. We just have to get through the next intense weeks.......

No comments:

Post a Comment