Thursday, April 22, 2010

Faith, Charm and Boxing Gloves

I'm still in Ghana not feeling very well and trying desperately to get to London.  By now, all the flights to New York are booked for at least a week, so holding tight to my London ticket and trying to get rebooked is about all I can do.  I've spent the past 3 days making phone calls to several Afriqiyah Air #s here in Ghana as well as their main offices in Tripoli.  I have shown up at their local air representative office several times.  I just keep being told they don't have any information yet as to how they will handle rebookings.  Today, in tears and at my absolute edge, I went to the airport office (no one answered the phone all morning, so I decided to go prepared to sit there until they gave me an answer), explained my situation and told the guy I would not leave his office until I knew I was getting on the next flight out.  He was very good humored about it all and assured me he would get me on tonight's fully booked flight to Tripoli.  I asked for a confirmation.  His response was so very, very Ghanaian (and pretty Zen): "We did not have an appointment to meet today, yet here we both are.  You do not need a confirmation.  Come tonight, and I will get you on the plane."  I looked him straight in the eyes, asked him his name and then for his absolute assurance and shook his hand.  I guess that's as good a confirmation as one can get........

So, I will show up at the airport tonight, armed with faith, charm and boxing gloves - just in case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment