Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blissfully Boring

Ok, so life isn't exactly boring, but I am seeing signs that we're settling in. I've realized I haven't felt compelled to blog much, mostly because life is starting to just feel like....life. Fewer and fewer interactions feel strange, hilarious, bizarre or just off beat. Driving past a huge truck with a bunch of men laying around in flour-sack hammocks while the truck is going about 100 kilometers down the highway no longer feels like it's from another planet. It just makes me smile and be glad I've got a seatbelt and air conditioning.

Other signs of settling are popping up as well. Basil. My garden has its first crop of basil and various types of lettuce. I've started harvesting a few leaves at a time and spent much of the weekend cooking - pizza sauce with basil, chevre, basil & tomato salad and other yummy things. A few months ago, cooking was way too overwhelming. Whatever was set in front of me is pretty much what I'd eat because going through the hassle of figuring out anything myself took more energy than I had. I had forgotten how much I love to spend a Sunday afternoon in the kitchen. Although, I have decided that there's not enough air conditioning in the world that can make a kitchen cool when it's 100 degrees outside.

Life is moving into a nice rhythm for all of us. The kids are doing well in school (although due to swine flu that wasn't even at their school the school closed early and they are out for 1 month!!), they have friends and have started having a couple of play dates. Work is feeling manageable and I'm finally able to set some boundaries around it and take some time off. We're all staying pretty healthy, I have a beautiful place to swim in the mornings, we love hanging out at the beach on the weekends and life feels like it's taking on a nice cadence. Blissfully (almost) boring. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment