Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Transformation

As I get ready to head to the airport in an hour, it occurs to me that each time I travel from the developing world to the developed world and vice versa, there's a certain transformation that takes place. 

Now that I'm moving back to the US (although my next trip to Ghana is in just a month), the transformation feels more pronounced.  A week or so ago, I wore my jeans - just to get used to them again.  Today, I picked out my travel clothes - layers that will get me through the not-air-conditioned airport chaos (which is normally chaotic, but traveling with 2 dogs and 2 very hefty suitcases will no doubt be a whole other layer of chaos), the over-air-conditioned plane and a stopover in Amsterdam where I can change into my "developed world" clothes.  I have my "Ghana wallet" in my purse - one made of recycled water sachets and filled with cedis, my Ghanaian driver's license and very, very worn out and have my "Europe/US wallet" in my carry-on - filled with dollars, euros, my US driver's license and nice, smooth leather in a hip green color.   The puppies who spend their days here rolling around in the rainy season mud in my garden have both been bathed and groomed and I keep telling Zig Zag how exciting it is for a little dog from Ghana to immigrate to the US! 

Then, there's the mind shift.  I'm getting myself prepared for a faster-than-the-speed-of-light world filled with automation.  Reviewing in my head how to use a debit card and use the self check-out at the grocery store.  Praying I'll remember that turning in front of people and agressively fighting for your spot in traffic is a style frowned upon on Vashon. 

I'm sure it will all be fine, but I suspect the pupies and I will be a bit dumbstruck for a few days, so if you see us with eyes glazed over, moving at a much slower pace than the world around us, please be patient :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment