Friday, March 26, 2010

Across the World and Back Again

In the past 2 weeks, I've found myself feeling grateful to catch a glimpse of Orca whales playing near the Vashon ferry, experienced SNOW on Vashon in Spring, gotten up on skis for the first time in over 20 years, took in the beauty of winter turning to spring in Montana and spent several glorious days wondering around New York City in 75 degree weather with cherry trees popping.  My first trip back to the US in 7 months was prompted by work meetings and extended to spend time with mom and friends.  It's been a whirlwind and has taken me some time to let all if it settle.  My first impressions of the US were:  I forgot how cold toilet seats can get and I forgot how amazing crisp, cool spring air can feel (as long as you're not sitting on a cold toilet seat). 

After a few days in the US I also started to realize how much more introverted people tend to be in the US and how much we tend to wear dark blues, grays and black.  Ghana somehow feels like it's overflowing with color and expression and being in the Northwest just as people were stumbling out of winter hibernation was a sharp contrast to the hot, steamy weather, loud music and general pulsing energy of Accra. 

I also brought Rosie, our new puppy, back with me.  She met me in New York where I had her fluffy coat shaved down in anticipation of the heat and we flew to Accra on the same flights.  She did great - adjusted quickly and spends her days romping and playing with her little big brother, Zig Zag.  The kids adore her and she's become a quick member of our little family. 
Rosie & Kirsten in NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment